Swiss Helvetia chromed case ex-military pocket watch with top wind and time change. White enamel dial with black Arabic hours and blued, luminous insert, steel hands and subsidiary seconds dial at 6 o/c. Swiss General Watch Co. manual wind lever movement with over-coil hair spring, the watch case back inscribed with the broad arrow mark and 'GS/TP P28656' and the whole housed in an external dust resistant two part case.
Case Diameter - 57mm, Depth - 14mm.
This item has been serviced and from date of sale is guaranteed for a period of 1 year subject to our standard Terms and Conditions of Guarantee.
Product code: PWOF021
On the 14th April 1892 the Swiss watch company Louis Brandt & Frere registered the name ‘Helvetia’ as one of the brand names for their watches. Two years later in 1894 they also registered the name ‘Omega’ and applied it to a new range of higher quality lever pocket watch movements they designed using cutting edge technology. So successful were the new Omega watches that the Brandt brothers decided to form a new company alongside Louis Brandt & Frere. On the 5th August 1895 the new company ‘Société d’Horlogerie La Générale’ was formed in La Chaux de-Fonds as a joint venture the directors being Louis Paul Brandt, Edouard Boillat of the ébauche company Ed. Boillat & Cie and initially Louis Courvoisier though he resigned in 1897. 1897 was also the year that the company was additionally registered under its English name, ‘General Watch Co’, and moved its registered office to Bienne.